Film & TV Location Tour
Saturdays & Sundays | 12.30pm & 2.30pm
Tickets: £13.50 (£12.50 online), included in admission ticket
Old Royal Naval College, King William Walk, Greenwich SE10 9NN
Tours run every Saturday and Sunday at 12.30pm and 2.30pm. Tours should be booked in advance. Book now to select your preferred date.
Join us for a fascinating behind-the-scenes tour of what’s been called “the most popular filming location in the world.” (Empire magazine).
From a starring role as Buckingham Palace in The Crown to 19th Century revolutionary Paris in Les Misérables, the Old Royal Naval College has provided the setting for some of the most memorable scenes in major international film and TV productions. On this tour you will be guided through over 60 years of filming, both outside on our iconic riverside grounds and inside the magnificent Painted Hall. Learn tricks of the trade, how the magic is made and some intriguing ‘behind the scenes’ tales.
Come for a tour and find out:
- The exact spot where Buckingham Palace was recreated for The Crown (2016 – present)
- Who saved the world when in 2013 The Old Royal Naval College hosted a crashed spacecraft in a climactic battle scene
- Which handsome couple waltzed the night away in the iconic scene from Indiscreet, filmed in a replica Painted Hall in 1958
- The antics of Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady (2011) and Emma Stone as Cruella in Disney’s 2021 delve into the villainess’ backstory
- Where it was in the Painted Hall that Nigel Hawthorne became King George in The Madness of King George (1994) watched over by his forebear George I, depicted in the famous painting
- Exactly the place in which Rowan Atkinson utters the classic line, “Repeat after me, I do take thee, Lydia Jane Hibbott, to be my awful wedded wife,” in Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
Film tours last 60 minutes and are part of your overall admission ticket including entry to the Painted Hall, the Victorian Skittle Alley and other talks and tours. Tickets can be converted to an annual pass either online or at the Visitor Centre on the day of your visit free of charge.
First Sunday StorytellingFirst Sunday of the Month | 11.30am - 2pm
Come and join us for a fun First Sundays storytelling session inspired by the amazing artwork in the Painted Hall.Find out more